Ready, steady, go!
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1.
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 requires very basic language skills. The examination corresponds to level one (A1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
After passing the examination, you will be able to do the following, for example:
- understand what you hear in everyday situations, such as simple questions, instructions and messages, as well as messages on an answerphone, public announcements and brief conversations,
- obtain relevant information from short written messages, public notices and classified advertisements,
- state and understand figures, quantities, times and prices,
- fill in personal details and basic information on forms,
- write brief personal messages,
- introduce yourself in a conversation and answer simple personal questions,
- formulate and respond to common everyday queries and requests.
Further information and exercises for the
Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1
Material that can be downloaded
Terms and conditions for exam administration (PDF, 103 KB)
Supplement to the terms and conditions for exam participants with
special needs (PDF, 98KB)
Information for examination candidates with special needs (PDF, 61 KB)